Friday, October 3, 2008

i promise i'll visit more

My Oma had a TIA yesterday. I'm really not too sure what that stands for, but it is basically a mini-stroke, and warning of an impending actual stroke. The thought of which freaks me out, but her doctor is supposed to be all over it and such. It happened at breakfast yesterday and I was sitting on here bludging as I do and I got an email from my uncle Michael, telling everyone about it. I knew Dad was at work and thus wouldn't have gotten the email, so I rung him and let him know what had happened. Then as soon as mum got the car back from having it cleaned headed down to see her. As much as I knew that she'd just had a ministroke I wasn't expecting her to be still confused, or maybe I was but it still threw me. She knew who I was and told me that 'daddy came to visit' but she also told me that Gertrude came to visit probably five times and asked if I had a boyfriend and who he was atleast four times. When she's met Joe. Then she slipped into dutch and started eagerly telling me something, and the only words I picked up were 'three' and 'you' and I had to remind her that I couldn't understand dutch, which kinda broke my heart a little cos her face fell and she said 'oh yeah..i forgot' and then couldnt remember what she wanted to tell me and looked really sad. I sat and brushed her hair for awhile and talked about christmas coming soon and then she started to get really drowsy so I told her I had to go and laid her down and said to get some sleep. Then I walked out of her room and did my best not to burst into tears right there. I pulled myself together and went and talked to the nurses and made sure that they were expecting her to be still confused. They were which made me a little happier, because Michael hadn't mentioned that she was still confused and I was partially worrying that she had slipped back into the TIA or something. I let them know that she was sleeping and they said that was good and I left. I called Dad later on last night and he said he was worried because his first visit was a break from work and he had only dropped in quickly, then after work he took Anna down and they stayed for awhile and she wasn't making sense and telling them same things. I told him that she was like that when I visited and what the nurse said which made him feel better and we both said we'd visit today. He text me about 9 to tell me he'd been in and she was feeling alot better and out at the dining room and not confused. Thank fuck. that is all I can say to that.


Of course now that I know she's ok I'm feeling guilty because I don't visit her enough and I always intend to go see her and then put it off or forget or something. I'm going down to see her as soon as Mum gets home from work. But from now on I'm going to make a better effort to see her more, whether she's sick or not.


So that was my yesterday, and so far my today has been ok. I went for a swim this morning, my second one of the season! I love summer...now I better get some study done xx

2 comments:

  1. oh liv *hugs*.

    i hope everything is ok now =]

    love you
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was SOOOOO sad! especially the speaking dutch thing, how heartbreaking! i am glad your oma is okay now but :) it must have really really sucked.
    big hugs.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?