Monday, October 20, 2008

I just had a weird conversation with a telemarketer:

(because I'm lazy he will be known as guy)

guy: is this mrs my-mums-last-name?
me: nope this is miss my-last-name
guy: oh *is confused as they always are* are you the family of her?
me: yup. she's my mum.
guy: ohok. well it will pleasure you to know that you have won a prize of a phone etcetcetc
me: ok, just a moment, I'm not actually 18 so I can't help you.
guy: you are not 18? *sounds suprised*
me: thats right
guy: could I speak to your mother or father?
me: Sorry Mum's at work
guy: your father? -right about here I'm just irritated-
me: My father doesn't live here.
guy: aren't you scared? -and now I'm kinda weirded out-
me: um. no. of what?
guy: living on your own
me: well I don't live on my own, Mums just working, she'll be home later on tonight
guy: but don't you get scared all on your own? *incredulous*
me: well I'm 17 so it doesnt really bother me. Perhaps I could get mum to return your call?
guy: thankyou I will call later.
me: bye

Rereading it it seems like he was either

a) being very creepy or
b) mocking me in a kind of "aww your so brave little girl" way

but it really didn't seem like either he just seemed very incredulous and it was all very strange.

Really its never occured to me to be more afraid of the usual contenders (spiders, serial killers and what not) when I'm on my own. Perhaps a little more jumpy at noises then usual but that would be the extent of it. And I dont really think that anyone would find it peculiar that a 17year old home on her own at 3 in the afternoon is not concerned.

When I was 15 and lived with Dad he did nightshift and I stayed on my own the whole night and that didn't bother me. My aunty was all OHMYGOD I GET SCARED ON MY OWN IN THE NIGHT COME STAY HERE and stuff. I don't know whether she actually does or if she just wanted free babysitting. She does like free babysitting. Not in the sense of ohok now your here I can go out. More like, wow your here, the children are being entertained and Noah just got fed bathed and is asleep. We used to go there on tuesdays after school if Dad was on afternoon shift (Anna, unlike me, HATES being on her own)and I'd watch Noah and play games with the other kids and play those annoying repetitive little kid games with Noah and aeroplane him his food and take him and bath him and dress him and take him out to say night to Mum and Dad and tell him stories till he fell asleep. So then tuesday became the night that she would invite her friends around for dinner and my once bitchy judgemental Aunty was completely in love with me. It was a hilarious transition. the end.

Ps. I never know how to end blogs.

3 comments:

  1. haha that telemarketer is so fucking seedy! lol, who even asks that! that's so creepy. and i laugh about Dom's parents.

    i love you lots
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha pretty sure that telemarketer wanted in on your alone-ness =P

    i hate telemarketers.. but im never rude enough just to say no and hang up, i let them talk and then say 'sorry but im not 18' and then hang up. lol

    and last paragraph.. you are such a mother =D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never know how to end blogs either. lol

    That guy was totally creepy. Telemarketers are scum anyways though.

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?