Sunday, November 9, 2008

it aint so bad

Glossary Point. Websters dictionary defines Darren as that short awesome man that used to be our store manager. And who is a barrel of laughter and fun. and generally the awesome. After leaving Singleton without so much as a warning to some other store, he has returned, much to the delight of those of us who are sad enough to still work at mcdonald's and remember the good old days of Darren. Cleaning the stock cage instead of making burgers in mad rushes and what not.



So you know how yesterday I was all "yays jesus loves me so I don't have to work" well, turns out I did. work that is, not have to.



Charlie rung me at like 7 in the morning. Actually she first rung me earlier then that, but I spent the entire length of my phone ringing waking up and then contemplating whether I wanted to work or not and missed the call. (By morning I guess I'd realised that I probably would do nothing with my day anyway). So I went back to sleep, but then she rung again and I though 'hey if its not a long shift I'll go in for a few hours'.


Me: I dont even know how to spell my attempt at hello

Charlie: Hey Liv, uhh sorry for waking you, can you come into work like only for a bit?

Me: -

Charlie: Like just three hours even we're really short staffed

Me: -

Charlie: Joe's here and I'm here and Darren's coming, Darren!

Me: *fake sigh* only for you Charles, only for you

Charlie: Oh my god I love you!

Me: when do you want me to work?

Charlie: whenever you can get here

Me: till?

Charlie: whenever you want to go home



That is totally the awesomest shift ever because when anyone was like 'what time do you finish' I was all 'whenever I want' and they were all hellz yeah!?! Jealous!



On the let down side of things, Darren, sadly, did not come in. About half an hour into my shift:



Me: *super enthusiastic* So when's Darren getting here?

Adam: Darren doesn't work today

Me: he...what..but...she said...when she called me..

Adam: hahaha nice one

Me: CHARLIEEEEEEEEE



She swears she genuinely thought he was coming in though.



Sometimes, I think about how I should get a real job. You know, rather then work at a fast food outlet. I think its trendy to work at clothes shops or juice bars or something as a after-school job. But truly, I think I'd be bored out of my mind. So thus I dedicate the rest of this blog to a snapshot of why working in the kitchen at macca's isn't so bad.



Ok so you know the butter on the muffins. Yeah, its liquidised, gross much? Gross alot. So it comes in spray bottles. What was that you said? That reminds you of a gun? ME TOO! crazy hey. So Tom and I have a history of butter-gun-wars (IF YOU SO MUCH AS LOOK AT EACH OTHER ONCE MORE FOR THE REST OF THE SHIFT I WILL KILL YOU BOTH-bianca)



Tom: oh yeah, why because your a WHORE? yeah bitch!

Me: oh no you didn't! *grabs butter*

Tom: oh no YOU didn't *grabs butter and squirts*

Me: Bitch Please!

Huge butter fight with dodging and chasing spraying: *commences*



It ended in Tom running past the wash room, me chasing him. Which caught Adam's attention who was doing wash up and proceeded to chase both of us to tell us to get the hell back to work. He burst through the back to door to find us using the huge bins as forts (oh come on, it doesnt get less fun when you get older) and shoo'd us back into the kitchen barking 'WORK'. It was the first time I'd seen the two new kids show any hint of expression.



As the day wore on Cameron accidently put an extra bun through the toaster that we didn't need, here starts the amazing physical journey of the bun, such a curious traveller it was:



Me: OMG CAMERON I CANT BELIEVE YOU DID THAT YOUR FIRED

Cameron: OMG I KNOW WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW?

Me: put it through again!

Cameron: it would be rude not to!



A day in the life of a bun. well this bun. not any bun.




10.40am: get taken out of bun crate and go through the bun toaster. At last, the taste of freedom.

10.41am: and again

10.42am: ok so, fifteen times. This is good, facade must continue, means less chance of getting eaten.

10.51am: get introduced to Tom

10.52am: get thrown in the waste bin by Tom. Is this it? The end?

10.53am: get rescued by Liv. The journey continues.

10.54am: get a hole installed by Tom. and then thrown on the floor. Not much fond of Tom.

10.56am: get rescued by Cameron. Another chance prevails. Go through the toaster five more times.

11.02am: get put on the meat grill.

11.03am: hear various remarks along the lines of 'if Mel walks in here right as that platen comes up you are getting the blame'

11:06am: survive ordeal ok without being spotted

11.13am: hide out in deli for awhile because there is a rush and the managers are helping. stupid customers. They're disrupting the plan.

11.15am: close call. warn sources to be more careful. almost captured. Heard from behind the tortilla's- Roger: what did you do to it? Liv: so first there was the toaster fifteen times and then-. Vision hazy from position but suspect approaching blonde figure to be Charlie. Liv: um yeah, so I'll just do that then *walks away* Charlie: right. I dont want to know.

11.20am: evade capture yet again. coast is deemed clear. Get put in Steamer.

11.22am: starting to feel lightly heady. overhear heartwrenching exchange of dialogue. Or is it a hallucination? My comrades, planning my demise, plotting against me, conspiring to eat me! Dares and Bets are swapped. Fear rises, these near death experiences aren't good for my health. Things are looking bleak when Cameron almost concurs to my downfall. Thankfully he remembers I went in the waste bin and on the floor, and rediscovers his loyalty.

11.28am: Things are back to the original plan. I pretend not to have overheard my near betrayal. get put in microwave.

11.29am: Overhear another exchange: "how long did you put it in for?" "pasta zoo". Everyone knows pasta zoo is the longest time. Looks like I'm in for a long haul.

11.31am: After much deliberation I am smuggled out of the kitchen with Joe. Going past the washroom is particularly frightening, knowing the figure standing in there could put an end to all the hard work with one word if I'm sighted. Thankfully I'm not.

11.32am: I make it safely to the fridge.

5.00pm: all of my partners in crime are gone. I miss them. The freezer is cold but I made friends with some croissants and I've got my eye on a sweet-looking piece of raisin bread across the shelf. Who knows how long I will be here?. I could be discovered any moment. Will I be here waiting when they return? Or will it be too late?

Yeah, I'm five. whatever. I hope the bun's still there. xLiv

2 comments:

  1. ROFD!
    I laughed unbelievably hard at the bun's diary.
    That is one of the funniest blog-thingos I have ever read. I congratulate you Janis!
    P.S. YOU'RE FINISHED SCHOOL FOREVER!

    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!

    P.P.S.S. I WANT BIG DAY OUT TICKETS...BUT I DON'T HAVE MONEY!!!!THAT SUCKS MONKEY BALLS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahaha.
    poor bun. poor poor bun.
    i hope its ohtay *nod*

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?